fbpx
From Havana to Varadero and back2017-03-20T18:38:05+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General From Havana to Varadero and back

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi Mario, I just purchased your book, it is great! I will be traveling to Cuba in June staying in Varadero for a few days and then Havana for the second half of our trip. I wanted to know if we wanted to save a little on the cab fare would the Viazul be the way to go? Also, I was wondering how long the ride is and if the bus is comfortable? Me and my wife are both fluent in Spanish not sure if that matters or not. Thanks in advance!

Mario Rizzi

Fluency in Spanish will help you a lot. The bus ride from varadero to Havana is about 3 hours. Its a comfortable bus. I have made the trip many times. There are many tourists using the bus so the hardest part is getting a seat. You should reserve your seats ahead of time. The best way to  do this is to buy the tickets online at viazul.com.

If you fail to get a seat, then there are taxi drivers at the viazul station in varadero and Havana who will do the trips. These taxis usually charge about 25cuc per person. You will travel with other tourists in the car, usually about 5 to 7 people per car. This is a good alternative. If the taxi drivers ask more, just negotiate them down. The lowest price I have seen is 20 between havana and varadero. 25cuc is probably average and fair in my opinion.

Good luck and have fun!

Luke

Hi,

My wife & I are planning to travel to Varadero Havana & Vinales.

Do you think 2 days will be enough time to spend in Vinales to see most things, I was thinking of spending more of the time in Havana?

Also I imagine it would be easy to organize a Taxi from Havana to Vinales but is it easy to organize taxi from Vinales back to Havana? I think we will be interested in paying a little more to get their quicker rather than using the bus.

Can we book these taxis through your website or would it be best to book once we get there, I am planning on booking the Casa through this website.

Thanks – Luke

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, I think 2 days in vinales is enough. You might not have enough time to see every single thing, but you can hit almost all. The first day, when you arrive, take a walk in the valley an see some farms close to town. Explore the town. Keep it simple. If you have time and like hiking, go walking up a mogote (limestone hill). You dont need a guide for this. And tell your landlord to book you a horseback tour of the valley for the next morning. Then, on the next morning, take the horse tour. Its really good and you will get to go deep into the valley, tell the horse guide to show you the cave with the natural pool inside it. You can bathe there a bit. And then see the tobacco rolling and have lunch at a small cafe in the valley. It’s fun.

In front of the main town square in vinales you will see a tourist office. In front of the office there are taxi organizers. Tell them you need a ride back to Havana and they can set it up for you. Its easy. They can send a car to get you directly at your casa. The taxi from vinales to Havana is usually a minivan shared with other people. But if you a want a private one, just tell the organizer.

In terms of getting to vinales, we can organize a taxi, no problem. We can organize the casa too. We can even set up the return taxi (but as I said, it’s easy yo set that up in vinales too).

You can click on the taxi link in the menu above and book the taxis and use the casa link for the casas. Just put your date in the form and my assistant in Cuba will confirm that quick.

Have a great trip!

Mario

Luke

Thanks for the reply Mario – much appreciated!

Another option we thought of was if we visited Vinales before Havana (I realise we have to pass through Havana) so it would be less travel back to Varadero on the day of our return flight.

This would mean we would have to get transport from Varadero to Vinales. Is it easy enough to get a taxi to make this trip or a group taxi? I think for time constraint reasons we would rather not take the bus.

Thanks in advance!

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, Varadero to Vinales would be possible too. I would have to know the dates and time of pickup and I can get a taxi for that. It would almost certainly be a private taxi. There are few group taxis that do this route (group taxis are popular with locals, but this route is not a popular local route, so it is hard to get a group taxi). In general, the Varadero to Vinales route is far less common, but I think I can get a taxi to do it.

If you are on a time constraint, you can do Vinales in 1 night. Let’s say you arrive in Vinales at 11am – You do the things mentioned above (farms, hiking, go walking up a mogote) and then the next day you take the horseback tour, and after the tour, let’s say around 3pm or 4pm, you take a taxi back to Havana. It’s a bit rushed, but you still get to see a lot.

But anyway, yes, I can get you a taxi from anywhere to anywhere. The less popular routes cost a bit more and would likely be private taxis rather than shared, but we can always find a taxi.

Steven

Hi Mario, I just set up a taxi pick up on the site. I was wondering if I should schedule the return trip as well as we will only be in Varadero for 3 days then going back to Havana or should I book it at the resort?

Thank you!

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

At the resorts there are usually only a handful of taxis hanging around the entrance of the resort (they are not allowed to enter the resort grounds usually). These taxis usually charge high fares to go to Havana (because there are not many taxis there, so limited competition).

Are you planning to go into the town of Varadero? If you go into town you can usually negotiate a deal with the drivers directly and save a few bucks. Maybe get the trip for like 80 cuc. Or you might be able to snag a shared ride for like 30cuc per person.

If you don’t plan on negotiating with drivers off the resort, you might want to book your taxi ahead of time. Then you are sure to have a ride. And if you are able to get a better deal in Varadero, you can always cancel your booking (please 1 day in advance). My assistant Claudia or Isabel can give you their cell phone numbers in case you have to cancel.

Have a great trip!

Mario

luke

Thanks Mario.

I just sent you a taxi request from Varadero to Vinales, let me know if you need any further info.

Luke

Mario
    Keymaster

Ok, perfect. My assistant will be in touch with you, or has already written you back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE