fbpx
Guidebook2016-08-26T17:47:20+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General Guidebook

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi

The free version of the guidebook is not even free, it costs 1$ something..

Mario
    Keymaster

Why do you say that? The guidebook has been downloaded, as of today, over 23 000 times, freely. It is available on this website for free, you dont even have to download it. You cans ee the book right here for free – https://bestcubaguide.com/free-havana-guide/

What country are you located in? For certain countries amazon.com charges a fee for all downloads. There is nothing I can do about that. I have marked the book as free and in almost all markets it is priced at 0$.

And, the full digital version of the book is priced at less than 5$ and the print paper copy of the book is less than 9$, and is in fact priced as low as Amazon will allow me to list it. I make exactly zero profit from this book…. And you still complain?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Mario.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Mario.
    Manda
    Participant

Hi Mario, I downloaded the free version of your guidebook earlier today and it most certainly was FREE, thank you!   I spent an hour browsing through the very helpful tips and tricks and was so impressed I’ve just ordered the full paperback version 🙂

We are visiting Havana in October and I’m trying to put together our itinerary. For our first day we’d like to book a walking tour with you – I’ll complete the online form and wait to hear from you…so excited!

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks for contacting me and thanks for liking the free book. The longer book that you bought is even better and filled with tons of info on Cuba.

As for the walking tour, I must say that it is not me who does the tour. Technically, I could offer the tour myself, but I feel it is better to have a tour with an actual Cuban guide. They take special walking tour courses and have a degree in Cuban history and tourism. We only use specialized guides for the tours and your payment is given directly to the Cuban guides. It promotes tourism and it keep all earnings within the Cuban community. I prefer it that way.

My assistant in Cuba probably received your message about the tour already. Probably she has responded too. If not, just give her bit of time. You should certainly get the response by the end of the day.

The tours are fun and very educational. The guides are professional. The guides work with the large tourism companies in Cuba (Cubatur, Havanatur, etc). They are used to getting many questions and always have tons of answers.

The tours are customized too. You simply tell the guides what your main interests are and they can spend more time on those themes. Some people prefer to spend time in Old Havana, checking out the shops and waterfront and the rich history with walks around the plazas and to museums. Others prefer to wander around less touristy areas such as Central Havana, and see the architecture and meet regular people and eat at small bodegas and markets.

Vedado is also a great place which is very popular. You can walk down 23rd street and check out the markets and parks (But you might not need a tour guide for this.)

Usually I suggest that for the main tour, you stay focused on Old Havana and Central Havana. There is a lot to see and in an hour or two you can cover a lot of ground and get a good idea of the history and daily life. Vedado is a larger area and it is a richer, more modern neighborhood, so you can probably explore it pretty well without a guide. The main history and vibrant daily life takes place in Old and Central Havana and that is where having a knowledgeable guide can be really fun and educational.

Unfortunately I don’t think I will be in Havana in October. I am currently in Montreal and likely won’t return to Havana until November. But I am sure that you will enjoy Cuba and likely want to return again in the future, so our paths might cross again in the not too distant future.

Have a wonderful time,

Mario

Manda
    Participant

Thanks Mario, I have booked the walking tour for our group with Lisa.  I have a question about the ballet but I’m finding it very difficult to find information about ballet performances online.  In your book you say that the ballet performs on Friday-Sunday nights – are there any exceptions to this?

We are in Havana for 4 nights Monday-Thursday 10th-14th October – do you know if there would be any ballet performances on those dates?

Mario
    Keymaster

Hey. I am working on getting you the info. I should have an answer soon..

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, ok, so this is the news.

For the ballet, there is no set schedule now. Apparently, you have to call on Thursday (every thursday) and ask what the schedule for the week is.

The woman at the ballet would not confirm if there were shows on friday, saturday or sunday, or any other days of the week.

Sorry, this is just how some things are in Cuba. Bureaucracy at its best.

Anyway, here is my advice to you. When you arrive in Cuba, ask your landlord to call the ballet theater. The number is this.. 7 861 3078. Your landlord can ask what the schedule is and if it is possible to see a show. That is really the best I was able to do.

Have a great trip.

Steve

Hi! Planning a trip. I bought the book last year so I have the 2016 edition. Any drastic changes to the information or will it still serve me? Thanks! 🙂

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, the 2016 version should serve you fine. The updates for 2017 were not dramatic. Minor things like schedules. But there is the new Trinidad guide. I am not sure if that was in the 2016 book. Please give me your email address (you can contact me directly at my email rizzi@videotron.ca) and I will send you the 2017 version for free, in pdf format.

thanks,

Mario

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE