fbpx
Habana Vieja casa particular with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms2018-01-10T17:06:23+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General Habana Vieja casa particular with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

We have booked Apartment 90 in old Havana. We want to stay in that area towards the end of our trip. Have you heard of it?? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. We must have 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. Ps we all speak both Spanish and English. Thank you

Jeannette

By the way, my sister bought 3 of your books for us and I have really enjoyed all of your tips especially about donations. My concern with Apartment 90 is that it’s not on trip advisor. I booked through Havanacasaparticular and seems nice but I thought you might have other info. We need the accommodations I mentioned for 3 nights from 5/4-5/7. Thanks again.

Mario

Hi, most casas in Havana and Cuba are not on trip advisor. I do not think this is a problem at all. I have looked at some photos of apartment 90 online and the place seems very nice. It is renovated and looks modern, but is right near old Havana. To be honest, the area might be a bit noisy, but old Havana is just like that. But there is a good chance it will be quiet and perfect.

In my opinion, if you already have your booking there, then you should consider staying your last nights there as well. If you are thinking if going to another city in the middle of your trip, you might be able to leave some of your luggage with the landlord. So you don’t have to bring it all with you, and then just pick it up when you return to Havana and spend the last few nights at casa 90 again.

I have never seen apartment 90 for myself, but it looks good from the photos. I will go check it out next time I am in Havana and maybe add it to my website. I think you would be fine there.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions.

Mario

Jeannettte

Hi! Thank you for your reply ! We are actually staying in another casa in Vedado called La Costa Habanera for the first couple of days in Havana. Then we are going to visit family in other cities. The Apartment 90 we are planning to stay in is to experience la Habana Vieja. Any  recent recommendations for restaurants are greatly appreciated. If we tip luggage handlers at the airport who might help us, is it okay to use euros or USD or do we need to tip in cuc’s??

Thank you so much!!!

Mario

Hi,

It will be a good experience. There will be lots of foreigners in old Havana, but it will be lots of fun. And apartment 90 is located close to the Havana malecon too so you can just walk along it to enjoy the ocean and there will probably be festivals and shows there too. There is always something to do in Havana.

As for restaurants, honestly the list of top restaurants changes so fast it is hard to keep track. I find that restaurants in old Havana are usually expensive. A typical supper will cost about 15 to 20cuc per person. Which is not much by international standards, but still, in Havana I prefer to pay a bit less. I stick to some state places in vedado where the food is a bit cheaper, like 5 to 6 cuc for a supper meal. Some examples are El Carmelo, at the corner of 23rd and H, or cafe TV, which is on the ground floor of the Focsa building, near the corner of 17th and N. These are in the Vedado neighborhood. They are not luxury places, but they make good food and there are not many tourists who go.

In old Havana, the restaurants are hit or miss. With all the tourists there, some places can get away with high prices and low quality food.  But I suggest you check out this website, for some reviews and suggestions. https://www.alamesacuba.com/en/

As for tipping, I would suggest to reserve it only for especially good service and for restaurants. I would not tip the baggage handlers at the airport, unless they really help you. The concern is that if you start tipping immediately upon landing the hustlers will take notice and you might look like an easy target. You might find a lot of people trying to help you, all expecting a tip. You are better off to keep your money tight, at least to start. But if you have to tip, any currency is good. I would suggest cuc. If you tip in foreign currency the Cubans have to exchange it to cuc eventually, which is a bother. But really, any currency will be acceptable. Money is money in the end. But don’t tip a lot. A dollar goes a long way in Cuba.

Jeannette

Thank you so much for the great advice! We will be in Cayo coco and my husband wants to fly fish. He is experienced. Can you recommend a guide.

Mario Rizzi

Hi, Cayo Coco will be an amazing experience. It is located a bit separated from the main island of Cuba. It is a key, almost like an island. It is a huge area and there is a nice reef near by. There are a few hotels on the Cayo, but no houses or locals can live in the area. It is just hotel workers and staff.

The hotel would be able to arrange a fishing trip if it is possible. I am pretty sure that there is fly fishing off boats in the area, and in the lagoons near the coast. But as far as I know there are no local independent guides. You would have to book the fishing through the hotel. It won’t exactly be cheap, but it will be worth it, I think. You have a good chance of catching some large fish, and it will be a very fun experience.

I wish you all the best,

Mario

Mario Rizzi
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE