fbpx
Pre-purchase Viazul tickets Varadero Airport to Havana?2016-11-02T22:09:20+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General Pre-purchase Viazul tickets Varadero Airport to Havana?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

My wife and I will be arriving late morning in Varadero airport on Xmas day.  I am hoping to be in time to catch the next bus to Havana.  Can I just show up for the bus and if they have room buy tickets from the driver?  I am guessing that there will be less people traveling that day, but I don’t know.

If I bought tickets in advance, I would  be concerned that I might run late and miss the bus.  I also am concerned about putting my passport number on an unsecured website, which they require to sign up to  buy tickets.  Any thoughts on this and best way to get to Havana other than the bus would be appreciated.

Also, if I do catch the bus would I be best to get off in Vadado to go to a casa near the intersection of Padre Varela and Neptuno?

BTW, I enjoyed reading your book.  It was written such that it was an easy read all the way through.

Thanks.

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks for the questions and for purchasing the book. Here are some answers:

1. Yes, you can just show up for the bus and pay the driver directly. But, in most cases, the bus will be full. This was never the case before, but now, with the increase in tourism, the Vaizul fill up fast. Maybe you get lucky and there is a seat, but on Christmas, Cuba will be a zoo. Already Havana is almost completely fully booked. Last year was perhaps the busiest Christmas ever in Havana and this year it is noticeably stronger. Maybe some people will be getting off at the airport, so they will leave an empty seat, but then again, there will probably be many people waiting at the airport to board the bus headed to Havana, so you might have competition.
    2. You should buy the tickets in advance. And honestly, sometimes even when you have a ticket reserved in advance, the bus is still full and you get screwed, or the driver lets you in but you have to sit in the middle of the aisle. I have looked on Viazul and there is a bus for 12:35, 14:25 and 16:35.
    3. I don’t know where you are coming from. Canadians usually speed through customs rapidly. From USA it takes like 1 hour.
    4. As for putting your passport number online, I would not worry about it. I don’t think much can be done with just your passport number and your name. Maybe I am wrong. But in Cuba you will have to give you passport number to many people, for any type of reservation booking, so, you can’t really side set that.
    5. If you take the bus, you should give the driver (written on a piece of paper) the cross road of the street where you want to go. I would slip this info to the driver as soon as you enter Havana (You take the tunnel into the city). Your stop (Padre Varela/ Neptuno) is right between the Vedado stop and the Old Havana stop. You can get off at either one. But it will be a long distance to walk to your casa. About 20 minutes. It’s completely doable, but if you have lots of bags and don’t know your way around, it might be frustrating. If you tell the driver, then he might be able to stop very close to your casa location. Do you speak Spanish? If it was me, I would offer the driver a 5cuc bill and ask him to drop me at the corner of Padre Varela/ Neptuno. It’s on his was anyway.
    6. I don’t know if you saw it, but here is a video of how to take the bus at the Varadero airport. You notice that the bus only stops for a few seconds.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWlDdCwEc6Y
    7. If you miss the bus, or if you just decide that it is too much trouble, you can always take a taxi to Havana. The official price is posted at the airport. I think it is 88cuc. I don’t think it has gone up. Anyway, you can likely negotiate a bit with the driver. But I think they will always want at least 80cuc. Maybe they want 90cuc since it is Christmas. In my opinion, this is money well spent. You won’t regret it. The ride is fast and direct. No stopping at small towns. You get to Havana in less than 2 hours, vs almost 3 hours with the bus. Always negotiate with the taxi driver. And if he shoots out a high number, ask other drivers. After about 10 minutes someone will come to you offering a deal.
    8. Anyway, if you have apprehensions, you can not reserve any bus ticket and then just try to grab the bus while at the airport. If you make it, it’s only 10cuc. If you don’t make it, you can negotiate a price with a taxi driver. And it will cost 80 to 90cuc, but it has the advantage of speed and convenience.

I hope this helps. Take care,

Mario

Snowdog2
    Participant

Hi Mario,

If I purchase tickets for Viazul, but miss the bus, can I take a later bus or use it for credit some other day elsewhere?  By the way I do speak a little Spanish, but I get lost when I need to understand what others are saying…. but I am still studying 🙂

Thanks again.

Steve

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, sorry the ticket is for one time use only. If you miss the bus, it is useless and you lose the value.

A bit of Spanish is better than none. Cubans speak fast and with slang. It won’t be easy, but at least you know a bit. With some effort you should be fine.

Just tell me if you have more questions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE