fbpx
sim card2019-02-19T17:41:46+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General sim card

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi.  will I be able to purchase a sim card for my mobile phone, to access media sites also to send texts and photos?

Mario Rizzi

No, you cannot purchase a SIM card. You can only rent a SIM. It will be like 3$ per day. Data plans will cost another 3$ per day. You can rent the Sim at any ETECSA store. They have one at the airport.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Mario.
    Mario
    Keymaster

Click on this link and then click on Internet and Phones category for all the info.

https://bestcubaguide.com/cuba-and-havana-questions-and-basic-answers-checklist/

malrigby
    Participant

OK, thanks for that and many thanks for your speedy reply Mario,  much appreciated.  take care.

Mario
    Keymaster

Have a great trip!

Jayne

Hi Mario,

First off, I just finished reading your book and it’s fantastic. You really give very useful info and debunk most tourist ideologies and xenophobia. I do however have one question regarding the SIM renting. You said it cost 3CUC per day to rent but how do the call and data charges work? I assume the daily 3 CUC is just rental fee and the calls and data is on top of that? Do I have to select a calling plan? That would make sense to my pea brain but I just wanted to ask.

Thank you

j.

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi Jayne, the price for the sim rental covers only the rental. It is possible that the Cuban telephone company now has other options, so you would have to discuss details concerning rental pricing for the duration if your trip. You might be able to get a deal if you rent for a week or more

Once you rent the sim, you have to put money on your account. It’s always pay as you go. There are no phone plans in Cuba. So you would put 20cuc and then add more as you need it. Local calls are like 35 cents per minute during the day and 10 cents per minute at night. Texts are like 7 cents each I think. They offer data options too (recently started). The data is expensive and usually works terribly, so it might not be a great option.

I hope this answers your question. Have a great time

Jayne

Mario,

Thank you for the response. Yes, you answered my question.

j.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE