fbpx
sustainable and renewable energy2018-03-31T19:42:42+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General sustainable and renewable energy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

My daughter will be missing 2 weeks of school while we are in Cuba. Her science teacher wants her to research Cubas sustainable and renewable energy. Do you have any ideas where we could find information on this? Interviews, museums, wind farms, factories, solar fields? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, this is a great question. Very unique. But to be honest, I don’t think you will find much info about this while in Cuba. I would advise you to do some research online about the solar power situation in Cuba. There are many nice headline about new solar projects being set up. But on the ground in Cuba this is really not something which is talked about much. I think the media in Cuba and the world likes catchy headline about renewable power but the fact remains that Cuba has an antiquated power grid with blackouts happening every day. Moreover, most of the power generated on the island comes from burning dirty oil.

There is a small solar farm in the middle of the island but it does not produce much. It’s located in the middle of nowhere. You won’t be allowed to visit it. The government keeps most of this stuff hidden because they don’t want to be embarrassed publicly. You won’t be able to check out any factories or things like that. The government is very secretive when it comes to factories and energy projects.

You might find some info about solar power in the Museum of the Revolution, but again it will mostly be catchy headline with very little substance.

I hate to be so pessimistic but other than the headlines I dont think there is much progress being made on renewable energy in Cuba.

There are some urban gardens which are cool. (https://youtu.be/0W6c5ZOiwi8) but again, these gardens are all talk and no show. They are tiny gardens and most of the year nothing grows there. On the occasion that there is a healthy crop, the government will invite all the journalists to take photos. It’s just for show…

Good luck! Enjoy Cuba and meet some locals. They are great people and it’s a fascinating culture.

Lynn

Thank you for the information.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE