fbpx
Airport Pick-ups and taxis2015-04-02T14:08:20+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General Airport Pick-ups and taxis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Is there a way for me to reserve an airport pick up or taxi in Havana? I need to get from the airport to my casa particular…

Mario
    Keymaster

If you arrive in Havana, we can arrange an airport pickup to take you form the airport, directly to your casa particular. The cost is only 25cuc. This is cheaper than the standard rate for airport taxis (30cuc). You save 5cuc by booking ahead of time. If you need this service, just send me an email at Mario@bestcubaguide.com

The taxi driver will be waiting at the airport at the time your flight lands. Once you get out of the airport terminal, you will see the driver holding a sign with your name on it. He will take you to Havana and bring you directly to your casa.

If you need to exchange money at the airport, he will wait for you, it’s no problem. You don’t have to exchange all your money. But it’s a good idea to change a bit, just to start. The exchange office at the airport is open 24 hours… But the offices in Vedado close at about 7pm. For this reason, if you are arriving to Havana late, you should maybe exchange 100$ or 200$ at the airport, so that you have a bit of walking around money for when you get to Vedado. If you want to go out and have a drink when you arrive, at least you have some cash.

wayhoo
    Participant

I will be arriving in Varadero @ 1330 pm, but the bus does not leave until 1640, Can anyone recommend and alternative ride without paying a taxi 90cuc? Im not going all the way to Havana, but Guanabo.  Thanks

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, the price for going to Havana or Guanabo will basically be the same. I don’t think you will be able to negotiate much of a discount for that, since Guanabo and Havana are pretty close.

Here is my advice.

There are lots of tourists who land in Varadero and then have to find a way to get to Havana. You will definitely not be the only one with this dilemma when you land in Varadero. I have been in this predicament myself on many occasions. In some cases I have waited for the Viazul bus. Just be quick, because the bus does not wait at the airport long, and seats will be limited.

But, since there will be other tourists waiting to find a ride to Havana, you should talk with them and ask to car pool. The taxi rides will cost about 80 to 90$ to go from Varadero airport to Havana. Nobody will want to pay this. But if you can get 3 or 4 other passengers, you can each pay 20 or 30$ and you don’t have to wait for the bus. It is the best way.

Also, sometimes you can find a van waiting in the parking lot of the airport… When you get out of the terminal, do not speak to any of the taxi drivers… just keep your head down, walk into the parking lot, and find that van. (It’s an 8 or 9 seat van). Go to the driver and ask how much it costs to go to Havana. If he has space, it is always a good deal.

But it’s very important to not talk to the taxi drivers first… There is a little taxi driver cartel at the airport. The van driver is not part of this cartel. His van rides are pre-booked and arranged through tour companies. He is not allowed to pick up regular passengers at the airport. If you look like you need a taxi, and approach the taxi drivers first, then they will not let the van driver take you…. Always try the van first.. And if a taxi driver asks you anything, just say that you already pre-booked your Havana ride with the van.

If the van fails or is full, then talk with other tourists and taxi drivers waiting around outside… For sure you will be able to find others who have to go to Havana. Just split the ride with them.

Good luck!

wayhoo
    Participant

Thanks Mario!!

clarachoe
    Participant

Hi Mario! I will be arriving in Havana on April 4, 12:30pm. Is there a way you can arrange me a ride to Vedado for a reasonable price? Should I make I pre-book a taxi to go back to the airport on April 18 or will my casa landlord do that for me? Thanks Mario.

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, I can take care of the taxi, no problem. The drive from the Havana airport to Vedado would be 25$. The taxi driver would be waiting for you at the arrivals gate of the Havana airport and he would track your flight, so even if it is delayed, he would wait. He could take you to wherever you want in Vedado. I could organize the return airport transfer too, but since things might change and it’s never a good idea to plan too far in advance, I would suggest you simply tell your landlord and let them organize it. It will not be more than 25$, and some landlords are able to find friends to do it for cheaper. I will send you this message as an email so that we can discuss the details.

take care

Mario

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE