fbpx
Taxi collectivos2016-08-23T12:52:18+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General Taxi collectivos

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Where exactly are the taxi collectivos?

How does it work?

We are 2 people and can speak spanish.

Do we have to find another 2 people so that it would be cheaper for us or does the taxi driver find another 2 people?

Are these taxis collectivos only in havanna, if yes where? Is it cheaper as Viazul buses?

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi,

Taxis Colectivos are like buses… small buses, that are independently run and can fit only 5 or 6 passengers. Like buses, they drive down major streets and go from one specific area to other areas. They generally start and stop at a main terminal (could just be a roundabout or field or landmark). They pick up and drop off people along the way. There are no specific “bus stops” for the taxis… you just hail them from the side of the road with an outstretched hand.

Fundamentally, almost any old car traveling down a major road in Havana is a taxi colectivo. Outside of Havana… ie, in other towns and cities, it is usually the same things.

But taxis colectivos usually operate on major roads. Avenues and boulevards..  main traffic arteries. They get you easily from one general area to another, and then you can walk the last few blocks to the specific area you want to get to.

When the colectivo stops to pick you up, from the window, you tell the driver more or less where you want to go. For example, if you are on 23rd street, you could say… take me to M Street.. or take me to the Capitolio.. If the driver is going that direction, then he will say, ok, jump in. Then you get in,. and when you are getting close to the destination, remind the driver, and tell him to stop. He will stop… And then pay him the 10 pesos per person in MN. You have to know which direction your destination is. For example, if the destination is east then you hail the taxi which is traveling east, on the side of the road which is going in that direction. You don’t hail the taxi going west, because he will be going in the opposite direction.

Be confident during the ride. Watch how other riders do it. If you look and seem like a tourist, the drivers can try to take advantage of you. They might ask for more money, or offer to bring you directly to the front door of your hotel or casa.. and then ask for more money. But if you use the taxis as a bus.. as everybody else does, then it is only 10 pesos MN for the ride within the city, or 20 pesos MN for the ride for longer distances to the suburbs. Going from Havana to the beach of Guanabo usually cost 50 pesos MN since this is much farther.

Like a bus, you don’t have to find other passengers to ride with you. Just consider it to always be similar to a bus.

The Viazul is a national long distance bus service. It’s like Grey Hound in the USA. You take it to get from one city to the other. It is usually cheap, but it makes many stops along the way, so it takes more time. You can take a taxi to make this trip and it usually costs a bit more.. maybe 50% more or double… but it gets you there faster and you can make your own schedule.

In Havana and most large cities there are also city buses that operate standard routes. These are extremely cheap. Like 0.2 pesos MN per person. But they are hot and cramped and you will have a hard time figuring out the complicated routes. You can try it for fun, but usually for a first timer to Havana I do not suggest it for actual efficient transportation.

I encourage you to get my guidebook or any other guidebook to help you in Cuba and Havana. My guidebook is less than $5 in digital format from Amazon and contains heavy details for everything you might need to know about traveling in Cuba and Havana. https://bestcubaguide.com/about-the-best-cuba-havana-travel-guidebook/

Take care and all the best, Mario

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE