fbpx
Trains Havana – Santiago de Cuba2016-09-09T12:43:13+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General Trains Havana – Santiago de Cuba

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I’m flying to Havana tomorrow, and am interested in getting an overnight train from Havana to Santiago de Cuba early next week (13/14th Sept). I’ve heard that these trains go every 3 days, but can’t seem to find out what days these may be! Would anyone be able to shed any light on when these trains are expected over the next week or so? Thanks!

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, the train from Havana to Santiago is called the Tren Francès (French Train)

The most updated info available online concerning train schedule is on the following website. http://www.seat61.com/Cuba.htm#.V9K9OfkrLDc

If you are not used to reading train schedules then it can be confusing a bit. But if you read the page you should be able to figure it out.

But, the most important part of taking the train in Havana is actually going to the train station and speaking with the agent and booking your ticket. You cannot get your ticket online of book electronically. It’s a person to person thing. And during that interaction the agent will tell you when to arrive at the station. Delays can arise or even cancellations so it is important to go to the station ahead of time in order to confirm things..

Note: as stated on the website…. 

• Havana Estación Central is closed for a major renovation from June 2015 until summer 2018.

During this period most trains are using the nearby La Coubre station instead, although those to Cienfuegos & Pinar del Rio are using Havana’s 19 de Noviembre (Tulipan) station.  Just to confuse you, Le Coubre may be referred to in timetables as Central station, so stay alert!

I know that this response does not fully answer your question. In all likelihood, you already knew this information, since it is available online. I know that you know the train runs every 3 days, and you were specifically asking which days it runs, so you could plan your trip. I will call the station later today and try to get you the exact info, but I cannot guarantee that I will be able to get through to an agent over the phone.

Mario
    Keymaster

Hey man,

ok, I got the info.

The train from Havana to Santiago leave this Saturday 10th of August, then on Tuesday (13th) and then on Friday (16th). It always leaves at 6:10pm.

I hope this help,

take care,

Mario

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE