fbpx
Taxi ride in HAVANA and Varadero2015-03-27T14:45:55+00:00

Best Cuba Guide Forums General Taxi ride in HAVANA and Varadero

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I was wondering if you are still in Cuba? I am coming next week to Varadero
    and then I will be in Havana for 11 more days. I do have a phone in
    Cuba also. I need to try and meet you so we can talk more about Cuba’s
    hidden treasures. I love Cuba and I go every few months. I have friends and
    family there and always have a great time. Do you live there? I hope I get
    to meet you when I am there. Hope to here from you soon or get an email from
    you. Take Care. Viva Cuba!

Oh I would love to contact your friend for a ride around to the hot spots.
    Can you send me her number to reach her? Thanks, Eileen

Mario Rizzi

Hi, thank you very much for your message.

I am not currently in Cuba, I actually just came back last week, after spending over 1 month there. I am now in Montreal, Canada. It’s very cold here. I could only wish to be back in Havana. I will probably be going again for an extended period in May. If you go often, then I am sure we can arrange to meet up at some point.

I adore Cuba and the Cuban people. Some people would say I am obsessed with the island. Do you like exploring “hidden” places in Cuba as well? Places that are off the tourist path?

Where are you planning to stay while in Havana? Do you have family in the city?

My friend, Gretel, works as a tour guide for a state company. She is the one who you noticed driving me around in the old Ford car. The car actually belongs to her father Tomas. He is a retired chemical engineer, but now he works as a part time taxi driver, mostly for local Cubans, but he does give tours as well. You can contact Tomas via his daughter. Her cell phone number is 53 5 361 0457. Her home phone is 878 8613. Her email is gretelhc@nauta.cu.

Tomas is a great character and loves to chat and tell you about his passion for Cuba. He’s a safe driver and knows tons of interesting places to explore. His rates are reasonable, and you should negotiate a price to where you are both happy. I think if you meet him for a little tour of Havana or just to spend some time chatting and seeing an interesting place, you will really have a great time.

I hope that we can meet in the future. Let’s stay connected and i’m sure our paths will cross.

Have a great day and have a great trip. Email me if you have any more questions.

Mario Rizzi

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Mario.
    Eileen

I was wondering about the cost of taking a taxi from Havana to Varadero and hen back to Havana…

I had contacted a driver in Havana and they said that a driver can pick me up at the Havana airport and drive me to Vedado to change my money and drop of stuff at a house and then take me to Varadero. For $70.00 !!!!! Yikes. I thought that was high. Then will pick me up for $50.00 coming back. What do you think?

Mario Rizzi

I have a driver, and official state driver with a yellow car (the air conditioned new ones), who will take you from Havana airport to Varadero for $50. Would you like this? I don’t know if he will detour from the airport to Vedado, as this is a long detour… He might just want to go directly to Varadero, but you can change your money at the banks in Varadero.. it will be almost the same rate as in Vedado.. just confirm if you want this. I think it’s a good price.

Eileen

Big car fits three luggages and will stop at Verado for me to get money changed? Then yes $50 each way

Mario Rizzi

Hi, thanks for sending me the private messages with all the details. ok, so it’s all confirmed. The driver will meet you at the airport for the pickup. He will be there at 9am and holding a sign saying Eileen. You will be arriving at Gate #2. It will be very crowded. But just be patient and look for the guy with the sign, and you will be fine. He will absolutely be there. He will drive you to Vedado and then to Varadero. There will be no problem. And yes, he can fit 3 luggages. They always manage to fit everything. It will be ok. They will find a way. The taxi’s name is Pupi. He’s a good guy. 50$

If any one else needs taxi services in Cuba, either around Havana or for longer distances, please contact me on this forum and I can find you a driver at a low price.

Thank,
    Mario Rizzi

Lilian

Hello Mario!
    I hope this message finds you well.

We are 4 female friends and it’s our first time to Cuba in June. We know It’s going to be very hot. We will be staying in Varadero for 6 days. One of those nights we would like to see the Tropicana Show as it’s been highly recommended. However the excursion from the resort is $300 per person which to us is pretty high. What is the best alternate way to organize the travel to and from the show? The four of us can contribute to the taxi if its possible. We realize its a long stretch to drive.

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Lil

Mario
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks for the message.

Ok, so the tickets to the show cost about 75$ each for the standard admission. There are different packages available. You can check them out and reserve here (http://tropicana.payresline.com/web/app.php/en/Portal/Tropicana/)

Now, to get from Varadero to the Cabaret theater, the taxi would cost about 90 to 100cuc. I now that in the above comments I had mentioned being able to get a taxi from Varadero to Havana for 50cuc. But that was like a one time thing. I knew the driver was already going and he was able to pick up the other woman on his way. The standard price is 90cuc for the ride. But I say that it can go up to 100cuc because the theater is about 20 minutes outside of the main Havana center, so it’s a bit of extra driving.

So basically, the taxi fares would be 100cuc to go to the show, 100cuc to return back to Varadero. The taxi can fit 4 people, plus the driver, so you will all fit. And it will have air conditioning.

Now, a thing to remember is that the show can go pretty late. Are you sure you want to drive back on the same night? You might arrive back in Varadero like at 3am… It’s up to you, but you might also consider staying 1 night in Havana. I can probably find a deal where you could stay all in a 2 bedroom apartment for about 60 or 70$. You would be 2 per bed… if it works, it’s pretty cheap, and you get to see Havana a bit. If you want all separate beds, it would cost a bit more.

Also, I will say, the Tropicana show is good. But I don’t know if it is worth the time and money to travel from Varadero to Havana just for the show. Personally, I would suggest that if you are doing this, you should consider staying at least 1 night in Havana, you can arrive early, check out the city a bit and then go to the show. They you go back to your apartment and rest. And the next day, like at 11am, you head back to Varadero. Not only would this option be less stressful, but it would probably be more fun and you could say that you’ve seen Havana.

Anyway, tell me what you think,

Mario

Lilian

Thank you so much for the prompt response!

Great information for us to think over the trip to the Tropicana, but do want to check out Havana itself. Are you aware of any festivals between June 20-24? Was thinking about going to Casa de la Musica, Old Havana get some dancing in.

Cheers!

Lil

Mario

Hi, in June there will be the Havana biennial art festival. Lots of art exhibits from international and Cuban artists. The museums and city squares will be packed with exhibits. It will be fun and a nice cultural experience

As for dancing, yes the casa de la música should be lots of fun. It depends on which night you go. Some nights there is salsa dancing and it is mostly locals. Other nights it is hip hop and there are only tourists and working girls. It’s hit or miss. But or else you can also check out the FAC . It’s a huge lounge/bar/nightclub in the vedado neighborhood of Havana. It is currently the most happening and hip place in the city. Locals and foreigners love it has something for everybody.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
CLOSE
CLOSE